Skip to content

Primary Assignment Reminders 2014 1040

IRS Tax Timeline 2014 Infographic Guide – Critical Dates, Deadlines, and Reminders

IRS Tax Deadlines in Year 2014

 January 31, 2014

The IRS expects to start processing 2013 individual tax returns (IR-2013-100).

Deadline for employers to mail out Form W-2 to employees and for businesses to furnish Form 1099 statements reporting, among other things, non-employee compensation, bank interest, dividends, and distributions from a retirement plan. Deadline for self-employed individuals to file and to pay their tax and avoid a tax penalty for not making the 4th quarter estimated tax payment.

February 28, 2014

Deadline for businesses to mail Forms 1099 and 1096 with the IRS if filing on paper. If filing these forms electronically, the deadline is April 1. For more details, see the General Instructions for Certain Information Returns.


March 15, 2014

Deadline for corporate tax returns (Forms 1120, 1120A, and 1120S) for the year 2013, or to request automatic 6-month extension of time to file (Form 7004) for corporations who use the calendar year as their tax year.


April 15, 2014

Deadline to file individual tax returns (Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ) for the year 2014 or to request an Automatic Extension (Form 4868). An extension provides an extra six months to file your return. Payment of the tax is still due by April 15th. You can submit payment for tax along with the extension tax forms.

Last day to make a contribution to traditional IRA, Roth IRA, Health Savings Account, SEP-IRA or solo 401(k) for the 2013 tax year. (However, if you get an extension, you will have until October 15th to fund a SEP-IRA or solo 401(k).)

1st quarter estimated tax payments due for the 2014 tax year.

Final deadline to file amended tax return (Form 1040X) for tax year 2010 and still claim a tax refund. (Be sure to mail the amended return well before April 15th to make sure your tax refund will be processed in a timely manner. And be sure to obtain proof of mailing, such as a certified mail receipt.)

Deadline to file estate income tax or trust income tax returns (Form 1041) or to request an automatic 5-month extension of time to file (Form 7004).

Deadline to file partnership tax returns (Form 1065) or to request an automatic 5-month extension of time to file (Form 7004).

Final deadline for estates, trusts, or partnerships to file an amended tax return and still claim a tax refund for the year 2010, as refunds expire three years from the original due date of the tax return.


May 15, 2014

Deadline for non-profit organizations to file information returns (Form 990) for the year 2013, or request an extension (Form 8868).


June 15, 2014

2nd quarter estimated tax payments due for the 2014 tax year. ( The normal deadline is June 15th, which falls on a Sunday, so the deadline is pushed to the next business day.)

Deadline for US citizens living abroad to file individual tax returns and to pay any tax due. You can request an additional 4-month extension (Form 4868). (You can request an automatic extension by April 15th.) Two tax breaks important for Americans working abroad are the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion and the Foreign Tax Credit.


Link for IRS Forms & Publications:

Link for State Tax Forms:


July 30, 2014

Deadline to file Foreign Bank Account Report for the year 2013. This report is required if you have over $10,000 (in aggregate) held in foreign bank accounts. Foreign Bank Account Reports have a new form number (FinCEN Form 114) and must be filed electronically. Extensions of time to file are not available.


September 15, 2014

3rd quarter estimated tax payments due for the 2014 tax year.

Final deadline to file corporate tax returns for the year 2013 if an extension was requested. (Forms 1120, 1120A, 1120S).

Final deadline to file trust income tax returns (Form 1041) for the year 2013 if an extension was requested.

Final deadline to file partnership tax returns (Form 1065) for the year 2013 if an extension was requested.


October 15, 2014

Final deadline to file individual tax returns (with extension). (Forms 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ.)

Last day the IRS will accept an electronically filed tax return for the year 2013. If filing after October 15th, you’ll need to mail in your tax return for processing.

Final deadline to fund a SEP-IRA or solo 401(k) for tax year 2013 if you requested an automatic extension of time to file.


November 2014

Start planning any year-end tax moves.


December 31, 2014

Last day to make any tax moves for the year 2014. Last day to set up a solo 401(k) for self-employed persons.

Marital status on this date determines your marital status for the whole year.

Source: Tax Calendars for 2014 (IRS Publication 509)

At Defense Tax we fight the IRS for you! We stop liens, irs tax levies and wage garnishments. We eliminate or reduce your IRS tax debt! Get your FREE consultation! Learn how an IRS tax attorney can help solve your tax debt problems at our blog. An experienced tax attorney has more training, education, technical skill, experience and overall ability than an adverse IRS agent. Thus, the tax attorney is in a position to identify faulty logic, argue the correct law, and negate incomplete factual determinations.

Our tax attorneys are able to assess the strengths and weaknesses of your situation and get the best settlement for you in the circumstances. Inside knowledge of IRS thinking, procedures and personnel is advantageous in negotiating the best possible IRS tax debt settlement. Our IRS agents have varying degrees of knowledge, skill and ability. This is where the skill, knowledge and creativity of our attorney is demonstrated for your benefit and IRS tax relief.


Related: Income Tax Deadlines, Infographic, IRS and Taxes, IRS Deadlines, Irs Tax forms, Pay Income Tax, Tax Breaks, Tax Guide, Tax Guide Timeline 2014 Infographic, Tax Timeline 2014, Taxes, W2

IRS : Forms

The Difference Between 1040 vs. 1040A & 1040 vs. 1040EZ

January 06, 2017 : Mike Slack

When it comes to taxes, it seems like there are endless 1040 forms. Plus, when you hear about an offer to file your federal and state taxes for free with 1040 form variations (ahem H&R Block More Zero) you wonder if you really do qualify.

So, how do you see if you state and federal tax returns can be filed using a 1040, 1040EZ, or 1040A Forms? And, what’s the difference between 1040 vs. 1040A, and a 1040 vs. 1040 EZ?

This post offers you insight into the different 1040 Forms so you can determine if you qualify for a free tax return with H&R Block Online:

What’s a Form 1040?

The blanket term “Form 1040” is used to describe the return individuals use to report their income taxes annually to the IRS. However, it is not limited to just one standard form. Instead, there are there are several different versions of this form; the most common of which are Form 1040, Form 1040A, and Form 1040EZ. The correct version you should file depends upon a number of factors mainly dealing with the size and types of your income and the various tax deductions and credits you claim.

What’s a Form 1040EZ?

As its name implies, Form 1040EZ is by far the simplest and shortest tax form. However, only small percentage of people qualify to file this return. In fact, IRS statistics show that only about 16% of individual income tax returns are filed using Form 1040EZ. The reason for this is that the form has several restrictions:

  1. Your taxable income must be less than $100,000 and only come in the form of wages, scholarship and fellowship grants, unemployment compensation, Alaska Permanent Fund Dividends, or interest (less than $1,500).
  2. You can only file as single or married filing jointly.
  3. You cannot claim any children, or any other person, as your dependent.
  4. You cannot claim any deductions from your income.
  5. You cannot have received an advanced premium tax credit.
  6. The only tax credit that you can claim on the form is the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).
  7. You (and your spouse if filing a joint return) must be under the age of 65 and not blind.
  8. You also cannot: owe household employment taxes, be in Chapter 11 bankruptcy, or owe Alternative Minimum Tax

If you do not meet these requirements you will have to file the slightly more complicated Form 1040A or the full Form 1040.

Even if you qualify to use Form 1040EZ, it may still be more suitable to file Form 1040A vs. a 1040. For example, if you qualify to claim the Saver’s Credit for making retirement contributions it may be more advantageous to file Form 1040A.

Form 1040A vs. 1040EZ

While not necessarily “EZ”, Form 1040A is only a slightly more complicated return to file. It allows for the inclusion of more types of income than Form 1040EZ as well as permits you to claim more tax benefits such as certain deductions and credits. In order to be eligible to file Form 1040A you must meet the following prerequisites:

  1. Your taxable income must be less than $100,000 and only come in the form of wages, interest and dividends (no limit), capital gain distributions, scholarship and fellowship grants, retirement benefits, Social Security or Railroad Retirement benefits, unemployment compensation, or Alaska Permanent Fund Dividends.
  2. The only deductions you can claim are those for IRA contributions, student loan interest, certain educator expenses, and allowable tuition and fees.
  3. The only tax credits you can claim are the child tax credit, the additional child tax credit, the American Opportunity Credit, the Lifetime Learning Credit, the Earned Income Credit (EIC), the child and dependent care credit, and the retirement savings contribution (Saver’s Credit).

One big limiting factor with Form 1040A is that you cannot claim itemized deductions. So even if you otherwise qualify to file this form it may not be advantageous to do so if you have a home mortgage, give to charity, or have other allowable deductions that in total exceed the standard deduction.

The Full Version of Form 1040

If you are required to file a tax return, but do not qualify to file either Form 1040EZ or Form 1040A, you must file the full version of Form 1040.

If you receive these types of income, you must file a 1040:

  1. Self-employment income
  2. Tips you didn’t report to your employer
  3. Income you receive as a partner in a partnership, a shareholder in an S corporation or beneficiary of an estate or trust
  4. Insurance policy dividends totaling more than the premiums you paid
  5. Distributions from a foreign trust

You also must file a 1040 if any of these apply:

  • You qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion.
  • You qualify to exclude income from sources in Puerto Rico or American Samoa because you were a bona fide resident of either.
  • You have an Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) adjustment on stock acquired from exercising an incentive stock option.
  • You owe excise tax on insider stock compensation from an expatriated corporation.
  • You’re reporting an original issue discount (OID) amount that doesn’t match the amount on Form 1099OID.
  • You owe household employment taxes.
  • You’re eligible for the health coverage tax credit.
  • You’re claiming the adoption credit or you received employer-provided adoption benefits.
  • You’re a debtor in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy case filed after October 16, 2005.
  • Your employer didn’t withhold Social Security and Medicare taxes from your pay.
  • You had a qualified health savings account (HSA) funding distribution from your IRA.
  • You’re repaying the first-time homebuyer credit.
  • You owe additional Medicare Tax or had Additional Medicare Tax withheld and must file Form 8959.
  • You owe net investment income tax and must file Form 8960.
  • Your taxable income is more than $100,000.

It is important to note that filing a form that’s too simple for your tax situation may cause you to forfeit credits and deductions you’re entitled to, so be sure to select a reputable tax preparer.

After reading this post, are you confident in the differences between 1040 Forms and the difference between 1040 vs 1040A, and 1040 vs. 1040EZ.

Remember: If you file state and federal 1040EZ, 1040A, and 1040 with a Schedule A, you can do so completely free with H&R Block Online. Start the process now!